- 1 lb bag of dry chick peas (soaked overnight)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup Italian (It’s the flat-leaf kind) parsley
- 1 table spoon coriander powder (freshly ground if possible)
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder (freshly ground if possible)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon (kosher or sea salt)
- pinch of baking soda
- oil to deep fry
1. Add all the ingredients in the food processor except baking soda. Grind everthing into a very fine consistency so you can easily form into falafel balls. (You may
have to add the chick peas in two batches depending on the size of your food processor.) I flattened my falafel balls a bit so they would cook faster. They were around 1.5 ounces each before cooking.
2. Add the baking soda just before frying.
3. Fry in hot oil at 325-350 F and allow to drain over papertowels/cooling rack/whatever
You can eat em by themselves, you can serve em on a platter with hummus/some sort of tahina-based dip, or you can throw em in a pocket-pita with cucumber, tomato, tahina-based dip (baba ghanouj, hummus, etc).
How do you like to eat your falafel?